Alabama Appleseed is a non-profit, non-partisan 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1999 whose mission is to achieve justice and equity for all Alabamians. Alabama Appleseed conducts integrated culture and policy change campaigns to confront laws and policies that harm the poor and to remedy the root causes of poverty and injustice. Its campaigns use policy analysis, research and documentation, legislative action, public education, community organizing, pro bono engagement, coalition building, and litigation. Alabama Appleseed is a vibrant, growing organization that prides itself on creating strategic, evidence-based solutions to some of the most pressing problems in Alabama, and allowing the ingenuity of our staff to lead the way. Our work sits at the intersection of poverty and the justice system.
Alabama Appleseed is a member of the national Appleseed Network, which includes 17 Appleseed centers across the U.S. and in Mexico City.
Position Summary: Alabama Appleseed seeks a Communications and Development Associate to assist with sharing our work with partners, collaborators, donors, and everyday Alabamians who care about justice and equity for all. The Communications and Development Associate would contribute heavily to our website, social media, and other written communications. This team member would take the lead in organizing our largest annual fundraiser, the Brewer/Torbert Award Luncheon and assist with increasing Appleseed’s connections with individual, corporate, and foundation donors. This associate reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with Appleseed’s Organizer. This is a fulltime position based in Appleseed’s Birmingham office, and will require occasional travel to Montgomery.
- Update and improve Appleseed’s website
- Create regular materials to communicate with donors and partners, including newsletters, one-pagers
- Assist with grant writing and management
- Maintain and update donor information
- Manage and create content for Appleseed’s social media
- Lead the planning and communication around Appleseed’s largest fundraiser, the Brewer/Torbert Award Luncheon, held every fall.
- Help craft and design eye-catching materials about our research
- Demonstrated commitment to Alabama Appleseed’s mission, vision, and approach to advocacy;
- Two or more years of experience highly preferred, especially around nonprofit communications and/or development
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Strong initiative and ability to manage and complete projects with minimal supervision;
- Valid automobile driver’s license – this position will involve extensive travel throughout Alabama;
- Ability to get along and work collaboratively with diverse personalities;
- Ability to multi-task effectively and occasionally embrace administrative duties;
- Skilled in Excel, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Google Docs.
An Ideal Candidate Brings:
- Expertise using WordPress, Twitter, and Excel
- Ability to synthesize complex policies and issues in clear, concise talking points
- Some graphic design skills
- Ability to organize large amounts of data in Excel
- Some experience with grant writing and management
- Excellent writing skills
- Willingness to take on administrative duties when necessary
- Significant tech skills (Adobe, WordPress) a huge plus!
COVID-19 Note: Alabama Appleseed has offices in Birmingham and Montgomery. Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, our team has had the option to work remotely as a health precaution. Most of our team has been working remotely and popping into the office only as needed, although our team occasionally convenes in person for staff meetings while wearing masks and practicing social distancing. For as long as this pandemic persists, we will remain mindful of health concerns and open to remote work.
Salary and Benefits: This position offers a competitive non-profit salary range of $35,000 – $45,000 depending on experience, along with a benefits package including health insurance, generous paid leave, and 401(k) after one year; reimbursement of travel-related expenses.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing OR design sample (can be website link if applicable), and three references to Alabama Appleseed’s Executive Director, Carla Crowder, at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled. Please write “Communications and Development Associate” in the subject line.
The injustices that we are fighting in Alabama today are directly connected to long histories of inequality and oppression in this state. As we build our team to fight for a better Alabama, we know that people who have historically been overlooked need to lead. For this reason, we welcome and strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, people with criminal histories, people from working class backgrounds, veterans and LGBTQ people.
Alabama Appleseed values an inclusive culture and diverse workforce. Alabama Appleseed encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and record of arrest or conviction.