Appleseed joins the many (many!) outstanding nonprofits for the Giving Tuesday campaign on Tuesday, November 30, 2021. This global day of giving highlights the important work accomplished because of generous donors everywhere.
Appleseed humbly asks for your support this day (and beyond) specifically for our re-entry work. Our legal advocacy and support for older, formerly incarcerated men changes lives. Appleseed is proud to stand with people who have turned their lives around and are returning to Alabama communities after decades behind bars. These men leave prison with nothing and support is desperately needed.
As our client Michael Schumacher explained in a recent presentation, the prison gave him $10 and a one-way ticket to the county of arrest, where he would not have a clue what to do, with his family gone and so many changes in the world. Because of supporters like you, Appleseed has provided his transportation, housing, and a warm embrace into a new life of hope. Michael, a gentle soul and former prison Scrabble champion, is starting over at age 61.
From securing social security cards, driver’s licenses, and bank accounts; to scheduling medical appointments; to teaching our clients about cell phones, food safety, and more, Appleseed is with our clients every step of the way. Thank you for your generosity as we support justice-involved Alabamians as they transition to their newfound freedom and a second chance at life.
- $21 covers the fee to secure a client’s birth certificate
- $36.25 covers the fee for a driver’s license or ID
- $50 covers a tank of gas for our Re-entry Coordinator to drive clients to their necessary appointments weekly
- $100 covers a week of housing for one of our clients
- $500 covers a post-release shopping trip for our clients for necessities and a wardrobe, including interview clothing
Please click here to donate! Thank you for your fabulous support.